Wednesday, September 7, 2011

On Warrior Dash 2011


Year #2 of this race.  Year #2 was a little easier.  Mostly because I've already completed the 3 hour race from hell last month.  This was a baby race compared to that monster.

Looks like I've found a new race running partner.  Maija and I decided to sign up for this one after we did the Tough Mudder.

Of course .. we had to dress up again.  What fun is it when you don't?  So tu-tu's it was.  It reminded me of the 10K I did in Denver a couple of years ago.  The tu-tu girl ... always just out of my reach.  Couldn't catch her.  So this race .. I pretended I was her.  And somewhere, some girl was behind me ... and I was just out of reach. Right.  I can dream..


Anyway ... to the race.

A 5K with several obstacles along the way.  It was actually a SUPER fun race.  I enjoyed myself along the way.  Still talked to myself.  But also chatted with others along the way.  I found myself saying "faster .. come on girl .. go faster".  As I had two specific goals for this race.  1 - to beat my time from last year and 2 - to beat Sean who ran it too.

Goal #1 ... check
Goal #2.....check

Some of the obstacles were - going through hanging tires ... jumping under and over walls ... running uphill .. going through the mud pit (or swim through it more accurately) ... going through spider webs of ropes ... cargo net walls .. planks ... with running in between them all.  The most challenging part was the mud pit for me this time.  I got mud in my eye .. thought I was going to lose a contact ... trying to keep my tutu from falling off (it's amazing how heavy a tu-tu can be after you crawl through mud)... just a few distractions.

I felt pretty good throughout this race.  Pretty psyched as I didn't train like I should have.  I came in a minute after the 22 year old stud that ran with us.  I'm okay with that.






Next ...


4 comments:

Robin said...

Yep...you ARE my inspiration!!

Unknown said...

So sad you'll miss the Dirty Girl. But this makes me excited for it, looks like fun!

Emile said...

This year will be my first Warrior Dash. I'm afraid I don't have a tutu to run in so I'm just going to be in boring old running shorts and my own pouring sweat. Probably some mud added later on. But I hope to have as much fun as it looks like you have in your last 2.

Emile said...

OK, I did it! I was pathetic and slow, but I flew over the obstacles. Well, most of them. By the time I reached the mud pit at the end I was so tired I could barely crawl through it, let alone fling myself in like the spectators all wanted. I think they may have even booed me for crawling soooo slowly. Next year I'll do better, though.